Football has continued to evolve from time to time and while it is usual for players to change clubs after the buying club had paid a huge sum of money to the selling club, it is a bit strange for transfer fees to be paid for managers. However, at a time when the game continues to get more organization and popularity, football managers now have to be bought out of their contracts.
Recently, Chelsea sacked Thomas Tuchel after a poor start to the season. The Blues went for Brighton and Hove Albion manager, Graham Potter but for the Seagulls to release a manager who was under contract with them, they had to collect £20 million from Chelsea. This made Graham Potter the second most expensive manager in the history of football.
The English manager is only behind current Bayern Munich manager, Julian Nagelsmann, who the Bavarians paid £21.7 million to sign from RB Leipzig.
Chelsea also bought former manager, Andre Villas-Boas, out of his contract at Porto in 2011 for a fee in the region of £13.3 million. The then 33-year-old’s contract clause had to be triggered before the move took place.
Without further ado, below are the top ten most expensive manager transfers in football’s history:
- Get the TECNO Phantom X2 Now and Pay 1,111 NGN Daily with Easybuy
- (VIDEO) Watch Full Highlight of Arsenal 3-2 Win Against Manchester United All Goals and Action
- Transferr News: Done Deals, Chelsea agree Fernandez fee, Arsenal ‘register’ second Mudryk bid
- Big Blow For Chelsea as Rafael Leao is close to agreeing a new contract with Milan
- Chelsea Break Club Record for Enzo Fernandez Transfer as Deal is one step away: 127 million euro operation