Williams Gallas believe that Graham Potter’s out-of-position play with Raheem Sterling at Chelsea has already created a “problem.”
Since Chelsea’s decision to fire Thomas Tuchel, Potter has only managed one game, a 1-1 draw with Red Bull Salzburg in the Champions League.
For that match, Potter elected to position Sterling on the left wing, with Marc Cucurella, Thiago Silva, and Cesar Azpilicueta forming a three-man defence.
And Gallas admits he does not comprehend Potter’s reasoning behind Chelsea’s £50 million summer acquisition from Manchester City.
“That is a problem. When I saw Sterling playing as left wing-back, I didn’t understand it,” Gallas told Genting Casino.
“It’s difficult for me to understand why he wants to experiment with something like this, especially in a Champions League game.
“You are playing at home and you put Cucurella as a centre-back, you have Fofana on the bench with Koulibaly, Chalobah on the bench, and you put Sterling as a left-wing back? I don’t understand.
“In the end, they didn’t have a good result, they drew 1-1. People will always judge the result, and the question is why did he put those two players in those positions?
“Graham Potter seems like a nice guy and a good manager, but I’m still waiting to see what he’s going to do to get Chelsea back to top form.
“He looks very calm, and looks like he likes to have conversations with his players from what I see from the outside, but I don’t know if he’s like this in reality. I’m still waiting.
“He did a good job at Brighton, but Chelsea is not Brighton, he has gone to another level with more expectations, more pressure, so it will be good to see if he can be the right manager
- Observations as Chelsea FC resumes training ahead of friendly game against Aston Villa
- Messi Vs Lewandowski: Who Has A Better Goal To Game Ratio For His Country
- TUN 1-0 FRA: Why Fans Are Reacting After Griezmann’s Stoppage Time Equalizer Was Canceled
- Why The Referee Was Right To Cancel France’s Goal In The 108th Minute Of Today’s Game
- QATAR 2022: Argentina, Germany and other big teams who could be eliminated in their last group games