When Eden Hazard secured his dream move to Real Madrid from Chelsea in 2019, the Belgian will have expected to be an established first-team player two years later.
Instead, the man who cost Madrid £100 million is further away from the starting XI than ever, with a number of injuries sending him tumbling down Carlo Ancelotti’s pecking order.
Now into his third season at the Bernabeu, Hazard has made just 53 appearances and started just four times in the 2021-22 campaign in La Liga so far.
The last match the 30-year-old started was against Sherriff in the Champions League as the Moldovan side caused a mammoth upset in the Spanish capital.
Wednesday evening saw Los Blancos come up against Shaktar Donetsk in the same competition and many expected to Hazard in the starting XI – but once again Ancelotti had other ideas, starting Lucas Vasquez instead.
“The problem [Hazard] has right now is he has a coach who prefers another player,” the Italian said in a press conference earlier this month
“That can happen in a squad like Real Madrid’s. What’s important is the player has the motivation to work to play. He is doing that.
“He has all the characteristics to be a Real Madrid player. He has to keep fighting. Sometimes it happens, there are moments when the coach prefers others.”
With his recent lack of game time, Chelsea have been linked with a swoop for their former superstar and after he was once again left out of the Madrid starting line-up, plenty of Blues fans reacted
- Get the TECNO Phantom X2 Now and Pay 1,111 NGN Daily with Easybuy
- (VIDEO) Watch Full Highlight of Arsenal 3-2 Win Against Manchester United All Goals and Action
- Transferr News: Done Deals, Chelsea agree Fernandez fee, Arsenal ‘register’ second Mudryk bid
- Big Blow For Chelsea as Rafael Leao is close to agreeing a new contract with Milan
- Chelsea Break Club Record for Enzo Fernandez Transfer as Deal is one step away: 127 million euro operation