Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta has heaped praise on the club’s new owners for showing “great ambition” in the transfer market.
The Blues entered the window restricted by sanctions imposed by the UK government on Roman Abramovich, which prevented any new signings from being made or new contracts being offered to players.
Such uncertainty ended with the completion of a takeover led by American Todd Boehly and Thomas Tuchel has been backed at the start of a new era.
Marc Cucurella, Raheem Sterling and Kalidou Koulibaly are among the new signings made by the London club, with Barcelona duo Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Frenkie de Jong potentially on their way to Stamford Bridge.
Azpilicueta signed a new deal after being a target for Barca and the defender is excited about what Chelsea could achieve with the quality of signings they have made.
“It’s very important that we keep the ambition high and keep winning trophies – and we have showed that with our transfers and the new players coming in,” he told Sky Sports.
“I’ve seen a great ambition, they [the owners] have been very transparent and honest since the first day.
“We’ve seen straight away in the transfer window and it’s not easy to step up after just a few months of sanctions where you can’t make any movements.
“In football, the competition is really high. You have more teams who want players and it’s very difficult. Sometimes you need a bit more time, but we’ve had a great recruitment until now.
“They [the new owners] have shown in other sports how successful they have been and I am fully confident that we will have a successful period as a club.”
While Azpilicueta would not comment specifically on any names, he did suggest he expects further new arrivals.
“We’re still working on more until the last day. There’s still some movement around and I’m very excited,” he added
- (VIDEO) Watch Full Highlight of Arsenal 3-2 Win Against Manchester United All Goals and Action
- Transferr News: Done Deals, Chelsea agree Fernandez fee, Arsenal ‘register’ second Mudryk bid
- Big Blow For Chelsea as Rafael Leao is close to agreeing a new contract with Milan
- Chelsea Break Club Record for Enzo Fernandez Transfer as Deal is one step away: 127 million euro operation
- ‘What is Ziyech doing on Chelsea bench?’ – Fans urge Potter to start Morocco star over Sterling vs Manchester City