Chelsea are facing the prospect of reduced capacities at Stamford Bridge after the UK government imposed new sanctions on Roman Abramovich, preventing them from selling tickets to fans
Chelsea have been banned from selling tickets to supporters after the UK government imposed new sanctions on Roman Abramovich.
The government announced on Wednesday morning that Abramovich will have his assets frozen and face a stop to transactions with UK individuals and businesses.
Although Chelsea have been given a sporting licence to continue trading as a football club, the new measures mean Abramovich will no longer be allowed to sell the club.
The new sanctions also mean the Blues will not be allowed to sell tickets to supporters with only season ticket holders able to attend games for the foreseeable future.
The government sanctions are also understood to apply to away fans, while the club shop will also remain closed.
It is unclear what the new measures mean for future Champions League games at Stamford Bridge, where season ticket holders are required to purchase an individual match ticket.
A government statement confirmed: “Given the significant impact that today’s sanctions would have on Chelsea football club and the potential knock on effects of this, the Government has this morning published a licence which authorises a number of football-related activities to continue at Chelsea.
“This includes permissions for the club to continue playing matches and other football related activity which will in turn protect the Premier League, the wider football pyramid, loyal fans and other clubs.
- Fans Go Wild On Twitter After Eden Hazard’s Performance Against Cadiz After Injury Return
- FA Cup: Becker Revealed who assisted him in saving Azpilicueta, and Mount’s penalties in a 6-5 win
- Possible Chelsea signing is ‘Unbelievable – one of the best in Premier League fans told ahead of potential move
- Antonio Rudiger makes big Chelsea contract admission after becoming a man at Stamford Bridge
- Why Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea Career Could End Just Like Frank Lampard’s