It can be difficult to watch teams be beaten so comprehensively, round after round. However, with the new group stage ensuring all 16 teams competing take away €400,000 (compared to the €80,000 they collected at the same stage, a single tie played over two legs, last season) – and solidarity payments going to teams in the domestic leagues of those teams competing at this stage – there is a real financial boost to just being a part of the show. That can have a real impact on the development of the sport.
Emma Hayes praised “special” Maren Mjelde after the right-back made her long-awaited return to action during Chelsea’s thumping 7-0 defeat of Swiss side Servette in the Women’s Champions League.
Mjelde entered the fray in the 66th minute with Chelsea already seven up, making her first appearance for Chelsea since suffering an ACL injury in March during the League Cup final. The win means Chelsea are top of Group A after Wolfsburg’s trip to Juventus ended in a 2-2 draw.
- World Cup Group E: What do Spain, Germany, Japan and Costa Rica Need to qualify
- QATAR 2022: African teams and their chances of qualification to the next round.
- The 4 Most Expensive Club Sales In Football
- 5 Portuguese Players who will Help Cristiano Ronaldo Win the 2022 World Cup Trophy
- The toughest fixtures in the 2022 FIFA World cup on matchday 8