The Confederation of African Football, CAF, has confirmed that the African Cup of Nations, AFCON 2022 draws will hold August 17.
Naija News understands that the tournament is scheduled to be hosted by Cameroon, and will take place from 9 January to 6 February 2022.
The tournament was originally scheduled to be played in June and July 2021, however, due to unfavourable climatic conditions, CAF announced last year that the tournament would take place from 9 January to 6 February 2021.
Subsequently, the administrative and controlling body for the African football association postponed the tournament for the second time to January 2022 due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic across the continent.
Naija News recalls that AF Secretary-General, Veron Mosengo-Omba, while speaking months ago at the opening of CAF new office in Yaounde Cameroon ahead of the competition next year said they are working to have an unprecedented tournament.
He said, “We are here for a working session to achieve an unprecedented AFCON tournament.
“We are working on rescheduling the draw for the second week of August.”
The opening of the new CAF office is in line with CAF’s promise of providing both technical and on-site support in the next few months to Cameroon in the build-up to next year’s flagship tournament.
- How Chelsea’s €65m agreement with Leeds for Raphinha is a trap set for Barca
- TRANSFER NEWS: 4 Done Deals that were completed today.
- Chelsea News: Chelsea Join Utd And Milan In Asensio Race, City Ready To Allow Chelsea Target Leave
- Chelsea offer Werner as part of De Ligt deal, Arsenal express interest For Espanyol striker
- 6 Players That Could Leave Chelsea After Romelu Lukaku’s £8m Loan Move To Inter